In an effort to create the safest race possible for our runners, walkers, sponsors, and volunteers we are implementing several changes for 2021 there are listed below.
It is very important to remember that 100% of our race proceeds goes to the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation. If you are not familiar with CF, it is a rare lung disease that is diagnosed very early in life and often prevents CF carriers from living to adulthood. The coronavirus puts this population at extreme risk. We can assure you that we take COVID-19 precautions very seriously and expect our participants to do the same.
2021 COVID SAFETY CHANGES:
1) MASKS: Participants will be expected to wear a mask at the starting line and when not eating, drinking, or running.
2) NO AID STATION: There will not be an aid station in the 5k race. Runners requiring hydration must carry their own. This change is for the safety of our volunteers and participants.
3) CANNED CRAFT BEER: Traditionally participants would receive a commemorative glass and two complimentary beer pours after the race in the glass. This will be replaced with a single can of craft beer from a Rocky Mount Mills brewery. Participants are welcome and encouraged to purchase additional beer for consumption at the Rocky Mount Mills, or canned beer to go from any of the open breweries. Reminder we are a family friendly event and as always, responsible consumption of alcohol is expected.
4) NEW FINISHER MEDAL: To replace the commemorative glass, participants will now instead receive a custom finisher's medal to celebrate their accomplishment. For additional safety these will be in your race packet and not passed out at the finish line.
5) LIVE MUSIC MOVED: We are excited to have pop star, Sicily perform live after the race. We will move the music back to the outdoor "field stage" which allows for a very large field for people to enjoy the music and spread out. If not eating or drinking please wear your mask.
6) HAND SANITIZER: We will have hand sanitizing stations throughout the event space. Please use them often.
7) PACKET PICKUP: Traditionally we have hosted packet pickup inside the beer garden area. This will be moved outside. Volunteers will be spaced out and masked.
8) STAGGERED START: We will utilize a wave start based on predicted times to avoid crowding and allow for participants to be spread out during the race. We utilize chip timing and all age group results will be based of chip timing. The top three overall is based on "gun time" and will be awarded to the first three people across the finish line.
9) NEW RACE COURSE: To accommodate the staggered start we modified our course as we are unable to shut down all lanes of Falls Road for more than five minutes. The 2021 course will take participants around the Rocky Mount Mills campus, through River & Twine's tiny home complex, into Battle Park, and back along the Tar River.
10) VIRTUAL OPTION: All participants have two options of racing virtually and bypassing the actual race day events. This enables us to raise funds for the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation while you still get some cool swag!
11) LATER DATE: We moved the race back a month to allow time for more progress in immunizations, and the flattening of the curve.
We will continue to monitor COVID-19 as the race gets closer. Modifications could be made to the above which could include a complete virtual event should conditions become worse. Ultimately the safety of our participants and volunteers is of the highest concern.